Making things more realistic

Making things more realistic

 

With the older Sindy furniture this was not so bad. Sindy furniture is a more realistic size and so long as you don't mind the classic 70's look your fine. 




 


BUT Barbie and Gloria is ....well a little PINK!



OK, so the modern stuff is not quite so bad but the older stuff PINK PINK PINK. The other thing is the size, so much is well on the small size.

While some Barbie furniture can be used without adjustments a few tweaks can work wonders. 

 






But if you are wanting to use Barbie furniture with you Integrity Toys dolls you are just going to have to put up with it being to small or look else wear. 

 A jewelry box

Jonathan Adler for Barbie (yep, it is possible for Mattel to get it right)
A cake stand


 Soap boxes

Sweets boxes and a biscuit tin.

I'm not even going to try and cover everything in one post so lets starts with changing the colours and adding that touch of realism.

..........................

The easiest way to change the colour of a plastic item is with spray paint. Now there are hundreds of different makes and each country will have their own. I'm in England so my paints are what I can find here. You can find spray paints in art shops, DIY stores and on line. E.Bay, Amazon and always check out google for that on-line store that might just be cheaper or able to give you advice. 

I have covered re-spraying before so not going to go into to much detail other than I always use a primmer brown,white or grey. Mask off the areas you do not want painted. Don't over spray a couple of thin coats is so much better than think coats that run, crack or bubble. If you have never done this before find a few pieces that you are OK with trashing....just in case. Then thin coats of the colour of your choice. Make sure each coat is dry before you add the next. Sometimes you might want to add a top coat a sealer. You can get spray sealants but Modge podge also works.

Adding detailing....

Pens are good for this. I used to use enamel paints and a thin brush, but in England the paints are no longer made with an oil base but are now water based. I found then to no longer have the pigment or think coverage so I have moved on to pens.

Sharpie permanent markers come in LOTS of colours. Also a choice of nib points.

Uni Paint is another good make their chrome, silver and gold pens work very well. Pretty much any permanent marker will work.


Then you have these...

I found them in a Facebook advert (I'm always a little wary of FB adverts but I thought I would give them a try)


I'm a convert these pens are wonderful and I would defiantly recommend. Chrome markers from Marker zone, can be used on metal, glass, plastic stone and many other materials. They also have gold, I'm hoping they will bring out a rose gold (I LOVE rose gold)

Marker Zone Facebook page

Website for Marker Zone 

And no I'm not getting anything for referring them.

So having spray painted the prams (for example) I used a chrome spray for the frames. 

I wanted better looking seats so I cut out the seat shapes using computer paper making adjustments as I went along until I had just the right look.


Then I made the actual seat again making a few adjustments.


I used hot glue to fix them in place. This was a new glue gun and I did not listen to my own advice so I was a little heavy handed with the glue! Oh, well practice makes perfect...I hope!



Then I decided to try out my new chrome pens and YEP they are lovely and shinny.


The  frame is spray painted and the hood is chromed. It's like a mirror effect.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Wardrobe ideas

Simple Wardrobes And Storage

Painting Plastic